In the hospitality industry, the iconic Hilton name is one associated with stellar customer service, exquisite accommodations, and an impressive amount of locations worldwide. In addition to these attributes, Hilton is known for its social media expertise. Not only does the social media team post eye-catching, memorable content to get the word out to the masses about Hilton offerings but they encourage others to do the same. So, how does this brand keep pushing the social media envelope, in a good way, and how can you emulate these skills to do the same for your hospitality business?
Hilton Exceeds Hotel Marketing Standards in 2019
When comparing Hilton to other hotel brands regarding marketing expertise and campaigns, Hilton is a step above the rest. This upscale hotel chain uses social media in conjunction with in-person interaction and prompts. The Hilton social media team goes above the usual posting of cool pictures and catchy sayings and encourages action by prior, current, and future customers. In addition to using social media as outreach for the brand name, the Hilton team pursues its marketing goals by combining online marketing with in-person interactions at their hotels. Many non-Hilton hotels simply post pretty pictures, say, “Come visit us!” and leave it at that without further follow-up. Hilton takes its social media marketing many steps further.
Hotel marketing strategies through online means are best accomplished in the following ways:
- Combine social media posts with in-person interaction
- Ask hotel guests to post pictures and use hashtags
- Consider your hotel category, i.e., luxury, family-friendly, etc., when tailoring your social media to suit your brand
- Make your social media names, handles, and tags known
- Host social media contests to boost following and promote intrigue with your brand name
How Hilton is Leading the Way in Social Media Innovation
The social media tactics that Hilton uses to display its offerings and entice visitors to stay at a Hilton hotel are clearly working. Currently, Hilton Hotels has 292,000 followers on Instagram, 1.8 million likes on Facebook, and 309,000 followers on Twitter. Social media users want to see what Hilton Hotels is posting about daily and the large following is evidence of this.
Here are some of the ways the Hilton brand is winning at the social media game:
- Resources are being dedicated to social listening: The Hilton executives know how important it is to listen to the customer. In response to this, Hilton has dedicated resources to social listening and is devoting time and funds to listen to the needs of the customer and ultimately address those needs.
- Putting the focus on the power of Instagram: Another way that the Hilton brand is exceeding social media norms is by using Instagram in the best possible way. Using Instagram influencers, Hilton focuses on life experiences and provides social media users with a way to virtually transport themselves to the Hilton in lovely Lake Como or Hilton Panama in Panama City.
- Internal process for consistency: With so many Hilton brands contained under the Hilton Hotels name, consistency must reign supreme. And, Hilton achieves this goal ten-fold with its internal process for consistency. With 17 brands and 5,800+ properties worldwide, consistency is key and Hilton accomplishes this. The posts across the board are visually enticing, verbally enthralling, and target the right audience while being consistent under the Hilton brand name.
Hilton Continues to Win Big with Its Social Media Savvy Behavior
The Hilton brand is one that other hotel chains, large and small, strive to emulate. Not only does Hilton continue to win big with its social media strategies, but it also keeps the needs and wants of customers in mind. Combining social listening with proactive follow-up, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to inspire and drive competitors to up their social media marketing game as well.